Downloading with BitTorrent
This site uses BitTorrents for map downloads to ensure that the downloads are fast and reliable. We recommend downloading the maps with the open-source and free Transmission BitTorrent application:
Unzipping the Files
The gmapsupp.img files are zipped to make the files smaller for download. We recommend unzipping the maps with the following open-source and free applications:
Installing the MapBack to Top
- Unzip the map file that you downloaded from this site. You will have a file called gmapsupp.img.
- Insert your SD-card into your SD-card reader. If you don't have an SD-card reader you can connect your Garmin GPS to your computer with a USB cable. Make sure that the SD-card is in the GPS unit before you plug it into the computer.
- Open the SD-card with the file manager. If there isn't a folder on the SD-card called Garmin, create one.
- Copy the gmapsupp.img file into the Garmin folder on the SD-card. The folder name must begin with a capital "G".
- Safely remove the SD-card once the file has finished copying.
- Turn on your Garmin GPS with the SD-card inserted and go through the following screen navigation: Touch the button at the bottom and check the box beside the OpenMapChest map to enable it. You should also uncheck the built-in map if the map areas overlap.
Testing the mapsBack to Top
It's possible to test a map when you're not in the area that the map covers. These instructions were made using a Garmin 255W but other devices will have a similar procedure.
First you need put your GPS device into simulation mode. From the main screen, go through the following screen navigation:
From the system screen you can turn on the GPS Simulator.
- Return to the main screen by pressing the back button a few times.
Next you need to set the location to a point in the country that you want to test the map in. From the main screen, go through the following screen navigation:
You will now be in the map view. You need to set a specific location in the target country.
- Zoom out until you can noticeably see countries on the map.
- Drag your figure across the screen and move the map towards the country you would like to test.
- Zoom in again ensuring that the country that you want to test the map in remains in the center of the screen as you are zooming.
- Put the cursor on a road and press the button at the bottom of the screen
- Return to the main screen again by pressing the back button a few times.
- You can now test the map as if you were at the location that you have set previously. The GPS can even simulate the route to be driven for the POIs, addresses or other locations you want to navigate to.
Using Two Maps at the Same TimeBack to Top
Some GPS devices with updated firmware from Garmin are able to load two maps at the same time. The first file should be named gmapsupp.img and the second file named gmapsup1.img. Both files need to be in the Garmin folder on the SD Card.
Newer Garmin devices (e.g. eTrex 20/30) can load multiple maps by placing the .img files directly in the Garmin folder. The only requirement is that the filenames end with .img.